Visioning Session: Reimagining STEM Innovation and Entrepreneurship by Centering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Despite increased calls for and pledges to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in all sectors, change has been incremental. One reason for limited progress is that these strategies are developed, implemented, and evaluated within the context of entrenched systems and institutions that were designed to perpetuate the status quo. What if we stepped outside of that framework and imagined solutions free from current and historical constraints? Specifically, what if we completely reimagined STEM Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) as a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community?
Visioning Session Activities
VentureWell has a strong organizational commitment to advancing equity in its organizational culture, programming, and the higher ed science & technology innovation and entrepreneurship field.
- Together, we will articulate a powerful vision and new ways of thinking that could circumvent or eliminate existing barriers to participation in STEM I&E for people who have historically been marginalized.
- Participants will then identify 4-5 highly actionable recommendations for moving toward bringing that vision to life. Each attendee will be asked to commit to work in small groups to further develop one of the recommendations over the ensuing three months, and will be compensated with an additional stipend.
- This summer, the recommendations will be published and disseminated broadly across the VentureWell network and its partners networks.
- The results of this reimagining will be a workable design for a truly inclusive STEM I&E sector, and the formation of a core network of leaders and influencers who plan to collaborate to make this vision a reality.
- Please note: It is possible to just attend the visioning session even if your schedule precludes you from participating in the follow-on work.
Once you commit to the session, we will modify your registration to reflect this change and share additional event details. The visioning session will end at 4 pm; attendees will walk together to the Westin Alexandria Old Town to join the OPEN Welcome Reception at 5 pm.
Please note we have a limited number of rooms available for Monday night at the Westin Alexandria. For our pre-conference attendees, we have also secured a private room block for Monday night only at the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle. Be sure to reserve your room early as the room block rates will not be available once they are sold out.