Innovate Egypt empowers early-stage science and technology innovators to commercialize their inventions and create new ventures.
The goal of Innovate Egypt is to provide innovators with the training, mentoring, and resources they need to bring their ideas out of the lab and into the market.
The accelerated eight-week training program is modeled after the effective Lean Startup methodology. Through an intensive customer discovery process, participants quickly identify and evaluate opportunities and make informed decisions on how best to move their idea forward.
Innovate Egypt is intended for graduate students, faculty, or researchers in Science and Engineering in Egypt from a public university or research center.
The program is designed for three-person teams located in Egypt that are comprised of:
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Serves as team spokesperson, leads efforts in business model development, and interfaces with potential customers.
- Technical Lead: Serves as expert of the venture’s technology.
- Business Mentor: Helps teams develop IP strategy, connects with funders, and advises on customer discovery efforts.
- Note: If participants are unable to find a business mentor, we can assist you. If your team is selected for the Innovate Egypt program, we will work with you to identify a Business Mentor. If you are interested in receiving assistance finding a Business Mentor, please contact Samer Yousif.
Stipends may be made available to accepted teams. This amount is subject to budget approval by the Egyptian Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF).
- Experience hands-on learning through in-person and online training and coaching that will take place in Egypt.
- Spend a significant amount of time talking to customers, engaging with industry, and testing hypotheses.
- Share experiences in a cohort model with other entrepreneurial teams engaged in similar work.
Innovate Egypt Program 2019 Schedule
- Opening Workshop: June 18-20 in Cairo
- Weekly Online Meetings: One two-hour meeting per week for six weeks
- Closing Workshop: August 7-8 in Cairo
Please note that this program’s implementation will be contingent upon the availability of funds.
About Innovate Egypt Partners
Innovate Egypt is funded through the U.S.-Egypt Science and Technology (S&T) Joint Fund. The U.S.-Egypt S&T Joint Fund was established under an agreement between the Government of the United States of America and the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt to strengthen scientific and technological capabilities between both countries. This makes Innovate Egypt a unique partnership between the Egyptian Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF), the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, USAID, the U.S. Department of State, VentureWell, and the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.