Are you an aspiring innovator or entrepreneur who is passionate about turning their idea or discovery into a startup? This program is for you!
Innovate Egypt is designed to support the advancement of early-stage science and technology innovation and commercialization in Egypt. We’re helping students, researchers, and faculty move their inventions out of the university and into the marketplace! Innovators in this program will learn how to effectively move their ventures forward and gain the knowledge, skills, and confidence to build the future of Egyptian entrepreneurship.
Together, we’re working to support the future of Egyptian innovation, building connections between investors and innovators, and deepening collaboration between leading public and private institutions in the Egyptian and U.S. entrepreneurial ecosystems. Apply to be a part of this life-changing opportunity for your venture and be a part of Egypt’s innovation future.
What Does This Program Entail?
Selected participants will have an extraordinary opportunity for their ventures. This program will empower innovators through eight weeks of customer-discovery training led by leading U.S.-based venture development experts, followed by a pitch day which will showcase entrepreneurs from the training who are ready to present solutions to modern-day challenges, including combating climate change and environmental sustainability.
Select teams will have the further opportunity for three months of advanced customized mentoring and support (AIMS) focused on global commercialization and deal-making. One representative from the top three teams participating in Advanced Mentorship will receive the opportunity to travel to the United States and participate in U.S.-based incubation and training. VentureWell will cover costs associated with admission into U.S.-based incubation program, international travel, visa, and basic living costs in the U.S.
- Be a part of the next generation of innovators working to solve Egypt’s and the world’s biggest challenges, including climate change.
- Receive world-leading direct venture development support, with some of the industry’s top thought leaders.
- Gain the tools to understand how to effectively move your innovation forward as a venture, taking your idea out of the lab and into the market.
- Build connections with investors and other innovators in the Egyptian entrepreneurial ecosystem, with unique opportunities for network building and deal-making.
- Have the opportunity to receive ongoing support through mentorship and incubation at cutting-edge U.S. venture incubators.
Who Is This For?
Graduate students, Researchers, and Faculty in All Science Fields
- The applicant should be an Egyptian researcher—Ph.D. holder—affiliated with an Egyptian research entity (universities, research centers, institutes, etc.) and resident in Egypt.
- Teams of 2-3 (Entrepreneurial Lead, Technical Lead, Industry Mentor).
- Able to attend an eight-week program. Week 1 and Week 8 are in person in Cairo, and the middle six weeks are virtual. All team members are expected to attend all program sessions.
- Teams are actively seeking to commercialize scientific research. Our programming is based on best practice training for science and technology innovators and established U.S. government programs (such as the United States National Science Foundation I-Corps™ program).
The Innovate Egypt Program is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is our intent to ensure that these principles are taken into consideration throughout the application and selection process. Innovate Egypt is open to individuals regardless of their gender, religion, geographic location, socioeconomic status, disability, or any other diversity factor. We encourage individuals from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply for the program.
- Teams selected will be grounded in research, and the cohort should be diverse (individuals, innovations, research areas).
- Must be supported by an Egyptian university or research institution.
- Team members must speak English. No translation will be supplied.
- All teams must fill out two applications: one on the VentureWell website and one on the Science, Technology, and Innovation Funding Authority (STDF) website. Both applications must be submitted by the deadline of April 6, 2023, for the team to be considered for the program.
- Teams addressing climate change are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our Review Process
- Expert review of proposals.
- The review panel is a demographically diverse pool of reviewers that includes technical experts that fit the foci of proposals. All reviewers are coached to avoid conflict of interest and ensure confidentiality.
- Multiple experts review each proposal.
Please email Mandy Sutton with any questions about the program.
Innovate Egypt is funded through the U.S.-Egypt Science and Technology (S&T) Joint Board.
The U.S.-Egypt S&T Joint Board was established under an agreement between the Government of the United States of America and the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt to strengthen scientific and technological capabilities between both countries. This makes Innovate Egypt a unique partnership between the Science, Technology, and Innovation Funding Authority (STDF), the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. Department of State, VentureWell, and the U.S. National Academy of Sciences. Innovate Egypt activities are made possible by the generous support of the American people through the United States Agency for International Development.