Last modified: May, 2018
- The types of information we may collect or that you may provide when you register with, access, or use the Site.
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies only to information we collect in the Site, and in e-mail, text and other electronic communications sent through or in connection with this Site.
This policy DOES NOT apply to information that:
- We collect offline; or
- You provide to or is collected by any third party, including websites you may access through this Site.
Our websites and apps and these third parties may have their own privacy policies, which we encourage you to read before providing information on or through them.
- Account: You set up an Account in order to use our Services.
- Non-Identifying Information: All information other than Personal Information that VentureWell users provide or that we collect.
- Personal Information: Information about VentureWell’s users that can be used to contact or identify them.
- Services: All services, software and information provided by VentureWell, including all VentureWell online services and the VentureWell website (www.venturewell.com), as well as our mobile and client apps.
- User Contributions: The digital files that you and others may create, upload, download, store, or send using our Services.
- We/Our/Us/VentureWell: Refers to VentureWell.
- You/Your: Refers to you, or the company or entity you represent.
Transferring Personal Information from the EU to the US
Children under the Age of 13
The Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
Information You Provide to Us
When you download, register with, or use this Site, we may ask you provide information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, job title, university or organization affiliation or other Personal Information.
- That may be voluntarily provided by you, including areas of interest, social media information, and related accounts.
This information includes:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Site. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Site, posting material and requesting further services, including areas of interest and related preferences. We may also ask you for information when you enter a promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with the Site.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses and phone numbers), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of uploads and contents you carry out through the Site and of the fulfillment of your orders.
- Your search queries on the Site.
You may provide User Contributions (“Posted”) on either public or designated secured areas of the Site. Your User Contributions are Posted and transmitted at your own risk. Although you may be allowed to set certain privacy settings for such information by logging into your account profile, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of third parties with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Automatic Information Collection and Tracking
When you use our Services, either online or using our client apps, whether as a registered Account holder or a non-registered user just browsing, we automatically receive and record information about this use either directly or through third party tracking utility providers. This may include information including:
- Usage Details. When you access and use the Site, we may automatically collect certain details of your access to and use of the Site, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through the Site.
- Device Information. We may collect information about your computer, tablet, or mobile device and internet connection, including the device’s unique device identifier, IP address, operating system, browser type, and mobile network information.
- Location Information. This Site may from time to time collect real-time information about the location of your device.
If you do not want us to collect this information do not download the Site or delete it from your device.
Information Collection Technologies
- Cookies (or mobile cookies). A cookie is a small file placed on your computer or device. It may be possible to refuse to accept cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your computer or device. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of our Site.
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Site and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit us to, for example, count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related Site statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Site content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Third Party Relationships. We also may use technologies in connection with third party affiliates to collect information about your activities over time and across third-party websites, apps or other online services (behavioral tracking).
Third-party Information Collection
When you use the Site or its content, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. These third parties may include:
- Advertisers, ad networks and ad servers.
- Analytics companies.
- Your mobile device manufacturer.
- Your mobile service provider.
These third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use this Site. The information they collect may be associated with your Personal Information or they may collect information, including Personal Information, about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps and other online services websites. They may use this information to provide you with interest-based (behavioral) advertising or other targeted content.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information, to:
- Provide you with the Site and its contents, and any other information, products or services that you request from us.
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including our Terms and Conditions of Use.
- Notify you when Site updates are available, and of changes to any products or services we offer or provide though it.
The usage information we collect helps us to improve our Site and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Recognize you when you use the Site.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Site according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
Marketing and communications preferences
We also use your Personal Information to contact you with VentureWell newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you.
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with an explicit request to have your information removed from our mailing list.
We will comply with your request as soon as reasonably practical. We will continue to send you strictly service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to deactivate your Account by contacting us at email@example.com.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual or device without restriction.
In addition, we may disclose Personal Information that we collect or you provide:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a successor organization in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us about our Site users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an e-mail address to use the “e-mail” feature of our Website or Site, we will transmit the contents of that e-mail and your e-mail address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including the Site Terms and Conditions of Use and for any applicable billing and collection issues which may arise.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of VentureWell, our stakeholders, our customers or others.
- For other purposes, but only with your consent.
We may employ third-party companies and individuals to facilitate our Services, to provide the Services on our behalf and to perform website-related services (“Service Providers”). The types of Service Providers we use include, without limitation, service providers that provide the following types of services: email delivery, credit card transactions, accounting, account verification, customer relationship management, marketing, webcasting, website maintenance, database management, web analytics and web and live chat hosting. Our Service Providers have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf, and they are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Compliance with laws and law enforcement
VentureWell cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you and your User Files to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including without limitation subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of VentureWell or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we consider to be illegal or unethical. VentureWell employees or representatives may access, but not view the contents of, your User Files when acting on behalf of VentureWell as described in this paragraph.
Your Choices about Our Collection, Use and Disclosure of Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Information you provide to us. This section describes mechanisms we provide for you to control certain uses and disclosures of your information.
- Communication and Marketing by VentureWell. If you do not want us to use your information that we collect or that you provide us to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications, adjusting your user preferences in your account profile by checking or unchecking the relevant boxes, or by sending us an e-mail stating an explicit request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) on the NAI’s website.
Data Subject Rights
The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation and other countries’ privacy laws provide certain rights for data subjects. A good explanation of them (in English) is available on the website of the United Kingdom’s Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you wish to confirm that VentureWell is processing your personal data, or to have access to the personal data VentureWell may have about you, please contact us at email@example.com.
You may also request information about: the purpose of the processing; the categories of personal data concerned; who else outside VentureWell might have received the data from us; what the source of the information was (if you didn’t provide it directly to us); and how long it will be stored. You have a right to correct (rectify) the record of your personal data maintained by VentureWell if it is inaccurate. You may request that VentureWell erase that data or cease processing it, subject to certain exceptions. You may also request that VentureWell cease using your data for direct marketing purposes. In many countries, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate data protection authority if you have concerns about how VentureWell processes your personal data. When technically feasible, we will—at your request—provide your personal data to you or transmit it directly to another controller.
Reasonable access to your personal data will be provided at no cost to VentureWell members, conference attendees and others upon request made to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If access cannot be provided within a reasonable time frame, we will provide you with a date when the information will be provided. If for some reason access is denied, we will provide an explanation as to why access has been denied.
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information
You can review and change your Personal Information by logging into the Site and visiting your account details page.
You may also send us an e-mail at email@example.com to request access to, correct or delete any Personal Information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your Personal Information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your User Contributions from the Site, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other Site users. Proper access and use of information provided on the Site, including User Contributions, is governed by our Terms and Conditions of Use.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information you provide to us is either stored on secure servers behind firewalls or with secure data centers with restricted access, and we (and our third party service providers) provide industry-standard administrative, physical and electronic measures to safeguard Personal Information submitted to us from unauthorized access. We encrypt the transmission of all Personal Information (including credit card information on our order forms) using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology and only store that information in secured data centers with restricted access.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Site like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Site.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet and mobile platforms is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted through our Site. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures we provide. If you have any questions regarding our security practices or believe your account may have been compromised please contact us via the contact information below.