Our new series of publications, Advancing Equity: Navigating New Terrain, demonstrate ways to apply strategies in action areas that can support innovation and entrepreneurship (I&E) faculty and leaders of entrepreneurship centers to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) practices in their programs. We are pleased to release the second installment, Embracing Catalytic Events for Change. The publication spotlights three personal narratives from entrepreneurial educators centered on a pivotal moment that propelled each author into deeper, more authentic engagement around diversity, equity, and inclusion with their colleagues, their students, and themselves.
blueprint for DEI in university-based I&E
In July 2020, VentureWell published the findings of a national study we commissioned of promising practices for advancing equity in higher education STEM I&E. We presented these in our report as a widely applicable blueprint for university-based entrepreneurship centers and programs that strive to broaden access pathways for early-stage innovators.
Since publishing the report:
- We engaged I&E faculty and entrepreneurship center directors in discussions of their experiences testing and implementing these strategies and solutions on their campuses through a series of community conversations, facilitated by experts from the field.
- We invited several community stakeholders to develop resources around the action areas to share with the field to offer guidance and inspiration for those beginning or evolving their advancing equity efforts.
- We published the first resource in the series, Transforming Programs Through an Equity Lens, in August. The publication offers a presentation of two assessment tools designed to facilitate deep and thoughtful conversations among staff about how to integrate ongoing DEI practices and learnings into programmatic work.
“Leaders in higher education institutions and entrepreneurship centers are eager for strategies and solutions to advance DEI in their work,” said Kristen Golden, VentureWell senior development officer and a co-leader of our advancing equity work. “We are fortunate and grateful to collaborate with members of our community to develop resources that support those working to advance equity.”
community conversations for advancing equity
Our online series fosters discussion to help faculty and program or center leaders:
- Bolster their equity efforts
- Provide the opportunity to share
- Learn ways to integrate action areas and best practices into their programs.
Attendees have an opportunity to connect with the authors of each publication, so please come prepared to share experiences, insights, and ask questions!
- Our next online community conversation, Embracing Catalytic Events for Change, will take place on Thursday, November 18 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM Eastern.
- The final community conversation in this series will take place on Thursday, January 13, 2022 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM Eastern.
share your input
Whether you are beginning, evolving, expanding, or scaling your efforts to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, we look forward to your feedback, your questions, and your partnership! Please get in touch with us at email@example.com—we’re excited to connect and learn alongside you.
Read more about our advancing equity work and see how you can get involved.