The E-Teams Qualification Phase gives US-based student teams the opportunity to receive a rapid response on the fit and eligibility of their innovation for the E-Team program, as well as receive personalized feedback, before completing a full Stage 1 grant proposal.
* Only teams who are planning on applying for a Stage 1 E-Team Grant should submit a Qualification Phase application. Stage 2 applicants should not submit a Qualification Phase application.
While the Qualification Phase is optional, VentureWell strongly encourages teams to take advantage of this opportunity to vet the eligibility of your innovation or invention with the goal of strengthening your Stage 1 proposal prior to submission. If your innovation is a good fit for the E-Teams Program, you will be invited to submit a Stage 1 proposal.
- Teams do not need to secure VentureWell membership in order to submit a Qualification Phase application.
- VentureWell membership IS required to submit a Stage 1 proposal.
Why should you submit a Qualification Phase application?
- Personalized feedback: If your innovation is a good fit for the program, your team will receive individual feedback on your project that can be applied to help strengthen your Stage 1 application.
- Exclusive webinar: Teams who submit a successful Qualification Phase application and are invited to submit a Stage 1 proposal will take part in an exclusive informational webinar. VentureWell staff will offer tips for navigating your university’s administrative system and offer any support you need to complete your Stage 1 application.
- Formal Invitation: Teams who submit successful Qualification Phase proposals will receive a letter informing them of their status as an invited Stage 1 applicant. This letter can serve as a formal invitation to share with your university administration to help expedite the membership process (renewal or obtaining new membership).
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via VentureWell’s online proposal system. Any member of your team may serve as the applicant on a submission. All deadlines end at 11:59 pm Eastern Time unless otherwise indicated.
The first step in the application process is to sign up for a VentureWell account, which you can obtain in a few simple steps. To access an existing account or to create a new one, click here. Once you have a VentureWell account, you may start, save, stop and return to your online submission at any time before submitting.
Please note: The Qualification Phase is open to student-led teams from US-based colleges or universities, not for individual inventors.
Submit your application for the Qualification Phase in a few simple steps!
- Log into your VentureWell account.
- Navigate to “Open Opportunities” and click the Qualification Phase application.
- Complete your application by answering a few short questions about your technology/project/innovation and team.
- Submit your application.
Next Steps After Submitting Your Qualification Phase Application
You will be notified of your fit and eligibility status soon after the Qualification Phase submission deadline. If your project is a fit for the E-Team Program, you will receive a written acceptance letter that will serve as an invitation to complete a Stage 1 proposal. This letter will also contain instructions for scheduling your one-on-one meeting with a VentureWell staff member, as well as details about the required webinar.
If you are invited to submit a Stage 1 proposal, in addition to the above eligibility requirements, you will need to:
- Be US-based. This program is open to student-led teams from US-based colleges or universities, not for individual inventors. Grant funds are awarded to the institution, not directly to teams or ventures. We do not accept international universities at this time.
- Be from a VentureWell member institution, or obtain membership. Your institution must be a VentureWell member at the time of your Stage 1 E-Team application submission. To check the member status of your institution, click here: If your university is not a current Member, you can read more about the benefits of membership, as well as how to apply or renew, here. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact email@example.com.
- Demonstrate Institutional support. All teams are required to obtain verification of support from a Principal Investigator (PI), Administrative Contact (AC), and Department Chair (DC). See “Required Verifications of Support” section of the Stage 1 guidelines for details.
- Thoroughly review the Stage 1 guidelines. Take time to review the steps and procedures for submitting a full proposal in our system. This includes submitting a 5-page proposal narrative, team resumes, and letters of support. Please note: This full proposal will be subject to an external review process and acceptance into Stage 1 is not guaranteed.
- Be Committed. You intend to explore the commercialization opportunity for your innovation.
If you have any questions about the E-Team program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the grant or application process please email or call email@example.com or 413-587-2172.